Palabok is a garlic-shrimp noodle dish from the Philippines. Novices may find the orange sauce a bit daunting, but the taste is amazing!
I am not a HUGE fan of packet sauces, and I’ve always wanted to make palabok sauce from scratch. After a few attempts, here is an easy, quick (for Filipino food), and delicious recipe. Just a few ingredients (for a Filipino dish), and a couple of pots! It took me just one hour to make from start to finish, and the kids gobbled it up!
- box of whole prawns, deveined with heads and shells on
- ground pork (about 1/2 lb)
- extra firm tofu (half a block), diced
- 3 heads of garlic
- 1 onion
- 10 g annato or achuete powder (about 2 tbsp)
- pancit bihon (or other vermicelli)
- 3 hardboiled eggs
- 2 scallions, chopped
- fried garlic
- prawns (quick fried or blanched)
- chicharon/pork rinds
- optional: tinapa, mixed seafood
Please skim through the video for the steps!