This is a delicious sauce that goes perfectly with Filipino pulled pork. You can dip the steamed buns in it or douse your pulled pork with it.
- 2 cups water (or pork or chicken stock, if handy)
- ½ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 onion, minced
- 4-6 pieces of star anise
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Bring everything except the cornstarch to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Boil until reduced by a third. Strain out the sauce into a bowl to remove the onion and star anise. Return the liquid to the pan and bring back up to a boil.
- Mix the cornstarch with a few tablespoons of water and then whisk into the sauce until thickened.
- Cool and serve with siopao or Filipino pulled pork.