These are going to be on my Christmas brunch menu – and maybe every brunch menu after that! These cinnamon buns are pillow soft and irresistibly buttery with just the right amount of sweet, cinnamon goodness. The bread is easy to make, and is the base of quite a few of my favourite bun recipes.
Yield: 24 mini rolls (one 9×13 tray)
- 2 teaspoons instant yeast
- 2/3 cup warm water
- 3 ¾ cups flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- ¼ cup evaporated milk
- 1/3 cup butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 cup butter, very soft
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- a few tablespoons milk
- a couple of drops of vanilla
- Dissolve the yeast in the warm water. Meanwhile, mix the flour and sugar with the dough hook in a stand mixer.
- Add the yeast mixture, eggs and evaporated milk. Knead using the dough hook in the stand mixer for 5 minutes.
- Add the butter and knead for another 5 minutes or until smooth, shiny and elastic. Let the dough rest for 5 minutes. Meanwhile mix the 1 cup butter, cinnamon and sugar to make the filling. Grease a 9×13 tray with a little softened butter.
- Gently roll out the dough into a large rectangle. Spread the filling on the rectangle. Roll the dough into a long cylinder. Cut into 24 pieces and arrange on the tray. Cover with a cloth and let the buns rise for 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until lightly brown.
- Cool for half an hour. Make the frosting by mixing the melted butter and vanilla with the sugar into a paste. Add milk and stir until it reaches pouring consistency. Pour and spread the frosting over the buns.
- Enjoy warm!