Filipino BBQ is delicious – and as a recipe its simplicity is amazing. And I’m sure there are as many recipes for the marinade as there are people who love it. Most of the time, pork cubes are marinated in a combination of garlic, ketchup, soy sauce and vinegar (with the occasional secret ingredient of sprite or 7up to tenderize the meat). Then they are skewered and grilled over charcoal. But I don’t want to limit this delicious taste to just pork, so I tried it with chicken – and it was a hit! Personally, I like a thick BBQ sauce. I’m sure it would go well as a basting sauce for other meats or vegetables as well.
- 12 chicken thighs and/or drumsticks (bone in and skin on for oven-roasting/boneless for grilling)
- ½ cup ketchup
- ½ cup soy sauce (Filipino or dark)
- ½ cup brown sugar (honey is also nice)
- ½ cup vinegar (preferably cane)
- 8 cloves of garlic, finely minced
- Mix the marinade ingredients and pour over the chicken. Marinate as long as possible, ideally 2 hours or more.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Line the chicken thighs in a single layer in a roasting tray. Roast for an hour or until the skin is crispy and the meat is tender. (You can also grill the thighs; just make sure to baste often.)
- Enjoy with rice!